Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Write Now

I call myself a writer but I haven't written anything of substance outside my head (aside from emails, a few letters, and sporadic journal entries) in almost four years.

Why now? Why start blogging now? I feel I have to or the thoughts and ramblings that bounce around my head all day will seep out in the most inappropriate ways. And - I'm ready to move on, start over, begin again....all those cliched phrases seem appropriate. I need to get back to "real" work and I want that work to be writing. I want to get back into freelance feature writing, but first I have to have an outlet for all the "other" stuff.

The other stuff includes quite a bit. I lost my husband to cancer a little over three years ago. That is such a stupid way to say it...he's not lost. Cancer killed him and I watched them wheel his body away from me. It was probably the hardest thing I've ever had to endure - letting the nice guy (the one with the long braid hanging down the back of his suit) take my husband away from me. Later, I watched them wheel his body to the crematorium and I helped scatter his ashes on a Florida beach - so I know he's not lost. he died after an 18-month fight and I still feel his absence every single day.

No, this will not be a sad, weepy...."oh I'm a widow, how will I go on" sort of blog. The grief will certainly be a part of it, but not the heart of it. There are many things for me to muse about....raising two kids alone, dealing with a neurotic dog, living in a bizarro Mayberry-type town, dating (yikes!), etc.

You'd think that with all I went through in the last five years I would have been busting at the seams to write things down. Well there was a lot in my head and in my heart but I couldn't get it out. Now it starts. We'll see where it goes.

-Dragonfly

4 comments:

  1. Great post! I can't wait to read more about your neurotic dog and dating in Mayberry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the description of your husband. Yes you indeed have a lot in your head and a lot to get down. Can't wait to see more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I write things in my head as well and find that putting them on paper, virtual or not, helps me process the events going on in my life. I wish you all the best and look forward to future posts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting post. You seem to be very in-touch with your feelings and that's good. If this is the explore/describe your inner-most feelings of the different experiences so that the readers can learn from them as well. I'll be interested in future posts.

    ReplyDelete